In Search of God's Promises

What is the one thing we do when we feel out of control in a situation? We grasp onto something stable, something we can lean on, something that will hold us up. When the ground is shifting we want something solid to stand on. This is a journey through the Bible in search of God's promises for us today. Let's look together to see how many "boulders" He has in His quarry for us to stand on! "It is not the children of the flesh who are children of God, but the children of the promise are regarded as descendants." Rom. 9:8

Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Promise 52 Gen. 21:1

Gen. 21:1 - "Then the Lord took note of Sarah as He had said, and the Lord did for Sarah as He had promised." We knew Sarah was going to have a baby because God said, a couple of times, that she would. But its so exciting to see it happen. I know I'm not going to be able to articulate this in the way I want to but here goes the try. Often times I'll be given a promise by God or know something about God that I know He'll work in a way that is true of His character and of who He is, and I can get excited about that promise, or the anticipation of His work, but for some reason I'm still amazingly surprised when the promise happens or when God does a miracle. For example, just last night (written April 17, 2010), my computer froze so I shut it down for a couple of hours. When I went to boot it up it wouldn't let me type in the 9's that I needed for my password. All keys worked except the 9's. I took the 9 cap off, maked sure there was no dust or hair blocking the connection, tried everything, it didn't work. My friend called, I said, "pray for my computer, I can't log in." She said, "just pray healing over it, computer be healed right now in Jesus' name!" So I tried the 9 again, nothing. Now I knew that God could touch my computer and make it work, I knew He would touch it, there was no doubt in my mind. So when it didn't work, I knew I just needed to pray over it again, because I knew God was going to fix it. I put my hand over the 9, said "9 work right now" in my mind I was thinking, "You (meaning the 9) have no authority over this computer, God has. And, Lord bring this computer into order." I tapped the 9 twice, nothing! Then suddenly those two wonderful dots (meaning in the password) after a two second delay, popped up on their own and I was able to log on. The 9's were back into submission for the rest of the work I needed to do. I texted my friend back, "Hey, it worked! PTL!" Even though I knew God would to it, it still surprised me when it happened. I don't think its because I have an underlying doubt, it's because God is so great that when I see Him fulfill His promises or perform miracles its an AWESOME surprise. Nothing He does ever grows old or gets stale, He just always amazes me. The promise is! He will keep His promises. So..... Stand on them, anticipate them, expect them to happen then enjoy the awe of it when it does.

No comments: