In Search of God's Promises

What is the one thing we do when we feel out of control in a situation? We grasp onto something stable, something we can lean on, something that will hold us up. When the ground is shifting we want something solid to stand on. This is a journey through the Bible in search of God's promises for us today. Let's look together to see how many "boulders" He has in His quarry for us to stand on! "It is not the children of the flesh who are children of God, but the children of the promise are regarded as descendants." Rom. 9:8

Monday, January 16, 2012

Promise 17 from Leviticus 22:32-33

Lev. 22:32-33 - "You shall not profane My holy name, but I will be sanctified among the sons of Israel; I am the Lord who sanctifies you, who brought you out from the land of Egypt, to be your God; I am the Lord." - In the previous chapters the Lord gives Moses instructions on who within the priests and their families are qualified to eat of the holy offerings and which offerings are considered holy and acceptible. Through His law, God removes any barriers that might cause His name to look bad. Holiness is important to Him. By reading these passages it might appear to some that He commands perfection, because neither the offering nor the one who qualifies to eat the offering shall have any physical defect, not even through birth. I must admit that this is a tough one for me to get my head around and I don't understand it and will just have to wait for the Lord to reveal His thought about this to me. However, in God's sovereignty He has the right to write His laws. His promise is though, out of His expectation of the protection and maintenance of holiness by those who represent Him before the people, He is the One who sanctifies those and that who receives the offering and is the offering. It's interesting that He says, He Himself will be sanctified before the people, but also it is He who sanctifies His people. What God is essentially saying is, "I want you to be like Me!" He sent His Son Jesus to us so that Jesus can show us what it means to be like the Father. "Be holy for I am holy" and "You will be sanctified as I am sanctified." When we are born again by His Spirit He puts His DNA into us to look like Him, so He wants us to act like Him too.

No comments: