In Search of God's Promises

What is the one thing we do when we feel out of control in a situation? We grasp onto something stable, something we can lean on, something that will hold us up. When the ground is shifting we want something solid to stand on. This is a journey through the Bible in search of God's promises for us today. Let's look together to see how many "boulders" He has in His quarry for us to stand on! "It is not the children of the flesh who are children of God, but the children of the promise are regarded as descendants." Rom. 9:8

Saturday, May 22, 2010

Promise 22 Gen. 9:12-13

Gen. 9:12-13 - "God said, 'this is the sign of the covenant which I am making between me and you and every living creature that is with you, for all successive generations; I set my bow in the cloud, and it shall be for a sign of a covenant between me and the earth'." The previous verse explains the covenant, "I establish my covenant with you; and all flesh never again be cut off by the water of the flood, neither shall there again be a flood to destroy the earth." When I read this I think, "But Lord, what about all the people who have died in floods?" There have been many people who have died in floods, what this promise says, is, "I will assure that there will always be a way of escape." He will not wipe out everyone on the earth again with a flood, that is reassuring, So why do so many people die in floods? It's simple really, (for some but not for all of course, especially those who live on islands and can't escape the terrible storms) we build our homes in gullies, in flood zones, we are sometimes more motivated to live in beautiful areas then by safety. People are willing to "risk it" to have a good view. Lake, river and ocean front properties are money making schemes. It's not God's fault when people are swept away by floods that were not intended to destroy. He gave us His promise, we should live within the safety of it.

No comments: