In Search of God's Promises

What is the one thing we do when we feel out of control in a situation? We grasp onto something stable, something we can lean on, something that will hold us up. When the ground is shifting we want something solid to stand on. This is a journey through the Bible in search of God's promises for us today. Let's look together to see how many "boulders" He has in His quarry for us to stand on! "It is not the children of the flesh who are children of God, but the children of the promise are regarded as descendants." Rom. 9:8

Monday, February 7, 2011

Promise 20 from Exodus 6:6-7

Ex. 6:6-7 - "Say, therefore, to the sons of Israel, 'I am the Lord, and I will bring you out from under the burdens of the Egyptians, and I will deliver you from their bondage. I will also redeem you with an outstretched arm and with great judgements. Then I will take you for My people, and I will be your God; and you shall know that I am the Lord your God, who brought you out from under the burdens of the Egyptians.'" - God is being very explicit in what He will do for His people. He first clarifies who He is, which establishes His authority as the One who will fulfil His promise. He says, "I am the Lord!" then He continues on to say what He will do; "I will bring you out, I will deliver you.... I will also redeem you.... I will take you for my people... I will be your God..... You shall know that I am the Lord your God." There is a clear progression here from freedom from bondage to adoption as sons and daughters. It's that redemption that bridges the gap between slavery and sonship. Not only does God free us from whoever holds us captive, but He pays the price so that there is no debt owed to our captors and He take us in and calls us His own. We are now adopted children of God. And He will make sure that we know He is our Heavenly Father, without a shadow of a doubt. He will never throw us out from His family. He is the Lord!

No comments: