In Search of God's Promises

What is the one thing we do when we feel out of control in a situation? We grasp onto something stable, something we can lean on, something that will hold us up. When the ground is shifting we want something solid to stand on. This is a journey through the Bible in search of God's promises for us today. Let's look together to see how many "boulders" He has in His quarry for us to stand on! "It is not the children of the flesh who are children of God, but the children of the promise are regarded as descendants." Rom. 9:8

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Promise 6 from Exodus 3:14b.

Ex. 3:14 - "God said to Moses, 'I AM WHO I AM', and He said, 'Thus you shall say to the sons of Israel, 'I AM has sent me to you.'" - It has always baffled me why God told Moses to tell the people that His identity, His name is "I AM". It's the only time I can think of where "to be" turns from a verb to a proper noun and its action takes on form. We are called "beings" but I still think that is a bit different from what God is identifying Himself as. This is what I believe God is meaning. When He calls Himself "I AM"' 'To be' means to have an existence. It is there, it is present. It can be identified through at least one of our senses, this is how we know it is here in our midst. For 400 years God appeared to be non-existent to the Israelites, God is sending the message to them that this will not be the case any longer. Through Moses, He is calling His people into His presence. He is declaring His existence to them. They will now be able to encounter Him through their senses. They will be able to see, hear, feel, taste and or smell His "being". His presence will meld with their presence. And that's what He does for us. He "shows up" in all His being so that we may encounter our great God, our Maker, our Creator, our Heavenly Father, our King. Thank you I AM!

No comments: